Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
We love the flavour combination of chocolate and banana. Once when I had no chocolate chips on hand, I made these moist muffins with chunks of chocolate bars instead. My husband likes them even better this way, since they have big bites of chocolate.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 milk chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounces each)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder (1 tsp.), soda and salt.
- In another bowl, combine bananas, milk, egg, oil and vanilla.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups one third full.
- Break each candy bar into 12 pieces.
- Place two pieces in each muffin cup.
- Chop remaining candy bar pieces; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 400*F for 15 minutes or until muffins test done.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
11/08: Updating my review with an added star because: I just made these again and, to cut fat/calories, I used only 3 chocolate bars instead of 6 (put 1 piece in each muffin instead of 2 and still sprinkled the remainder on top). They were still oh-so-delicious!!! And now, they're only 3 WW points each! ______________ Okay, imagine biting into the sweet banana muffin and hitting CHUNKS of chocolate. We're not talking chocolate CHIPS, here - there's MAJOR banana/chocolate balance. YUM, YUM, YUM!