Prep 15 mins
Cook 28 mins
Brownies adapted from Martha Stewart; featured on the How Sweet It Is blog, and on HuffPost Taste.
Make and share this Fudgy Avocado Brownies recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large ripe avocados (mashed well, about 1 1/8 cups)
- 8 ounces dark chocolate (melted)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (chopped)
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 -2 tablespoon grated chocolate (optional garnish)
- For Brownies:.
- Preheat oven to 350F (325F for glass or dark pan). Liberally spray a 9-inch square pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk mashed avocado and melted chocolate.
- Whisk in sugar until combined, then add in eggs and vanilla extract, mixing well.
- Add in flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt, mixing with a large spoon until JUST combined - do not over mix.
- Stir in oil until it's well distributed and batter is somewhat smooth. Fold in chopped chocolate, then spread batter in pan.
- Bake for 28-32 minutes, or until middle is set. Remove and let cool completely, then frost and top with grated chocolate if desired.
- For Frosting:.
- Add avocado to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until mashed and creamy. Add lemon juice.
- With the mixer on low speed, add in vanilla then slowly add in powdered sugar, scraping down the sides if needed, until a smooth frosting forms. Frost brownies once cooled.
- Note: Placed brownies in the fridge (covered throughly with plastic wrap) to store. Let them come to room temp to serve, or place them in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds before serving.
Very good and interesting! I did wonder about this recipe (skipped the frosting) but made the brownies as directed and served them to a group of people who really enjoyed the brownies (and no one thought I used avocado in them!) A great way to use up avocados! Thanks for sharing!