Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Amazing? I think so.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- stevia (make it pretty sweet)
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Mix together the dry ingredients (except the chocolate chips). You may want to sift them together.
- Mix the applesauce and vanilla.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well.
- Add the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes at 350°F.
- Don't eat them all at once.
I found this a bit dry (perhaps more applesauce would help) and not quite sweet enough (I used 3/8 tsp. pure stevia powder; needs at least 1/2 tspâ€”maybe more).
A great idea, but it doesn't work. The stevia (& baking powder?) leave a yucky, bitter aftertaste. The bitterness of the stevia accentuates the natural bitterness of cocoa. Possibly, it would have been a bit less bitter if I had not subsituted pine nuts for the sweeter chocolate chips. Hubby wouldn't take a second bite. Hoping to salvage them, I made a traditional frosting, which negated the healthy aspect and didn't kill the aftertaste. Also, there are some problems with the recipe: The quantity of stevia is not listed. I used 2/3 tsp of pure stevia. Baking powder is listed twice. I assumed the second one was baking soda.