Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a good one for chocolate lovers.
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml butter
- 118.29 ml milk
- 236.59 ml flour (all pourpose)
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 29.58 ml cocoa
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 78.07 ml cocoa
- 354.88 ml boiling water
- Cream together 3/4 cup sugar and butter.
- Stir in milk.
- Sift flour,baking powder,salt and 2 tbsp cocoa together.
- Add to creamed mixture and beat until smooth.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Spread batter into a square 9 inch pan.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar,1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1/3 cup of cocoa.
- Sprinkle over the batter.
- Pout the boiling water over the top.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.
- The cake will rise to the top and boiling water will combine with the sugar/cocoa mixture to make a rich syrup underneath.
I made this last nite for my chocoholic husband! He loved it!! I chilled it in fridge before I served it. I just thought it would be better that way. I did eat mine warm tho, cause it smelled so good. It was a little too chocolaty for me, but I repeat, he loved it! The only thing different I did was to double the recipe. I was afraid 3c of hot water might be too much, so just added 2 1/2. It turned out perfect. It is also very quick and easy to make, and I didn't bother to sift the flour! I know I will be making this cake again. Thankyou Theresa for posting and giving my hubby a special treat!
Excellent recipe. I used 1 c. boiling water instead of 1 1/2 c. Also, used 9 in. round pie pan instead of 8 in. pan (because I couldn't find my 8 in. pan). It turned out great. Didn't look fantastic but it tasted great!
I doubled this recipe because we were having company over. And I have to admit that I was doubting it would turn out when I poured 3 cups water over the top of it. But this is and excellent cake with a very good hot fudge sauce. We ate it while it was still hot. Everyone enjoyed this. And I will definately make this one again. Thanks for the post.