Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 5 mins
This decadent cheesecake is a chocoholic's dream. It's silky smooth and deeply chocolate. Be careful not to overbake. The filling will wobble when the pan is gently shaken, but will firm up as the cheesecake cools.
- 2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk, caramelized* (see below)
- 4 1⁄4 ounces Skor candy bars, crumbled-much easier if you freeze the bars first (3 regular sized bars)
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature (do not use light cream cheese)
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Kahlua
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 6 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, melted and cooled
- semi-sweet chocolate baking square (quantity two, one ounce each)
- chocolate curls
- *To Caramelize sweetened condensed milk:.
- To caramelize the sweetened condensed milk, simmer slowly in the top of a double boiler for about an hour, or longer, until it thickens and turns a golden brown.
- Stir occasionally.
- Set aside to cool.
- Generously grease the sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Wrap the outside of the pan with a double layer of foil to prevent the butter in the crust from leaking out.
- Combine the chocolate crumbs and melted butter and press onto the bottom and part way up the sides of the greased pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 10 minutes then set aside to cool.
- Spread the caramelized sweetened condensed milk over the cooled crust (warm it in the microwave for a few seconds if necessary). Sprinkle the 3 crushed Skor bars evenly over the caramel layer.
- If you've had to reheat the caramel before spreading, let it cool for a moment before adding the Skor bars.
- With an electric mixer, beat the softened cream cheese and sugar until smooth, scraping down the bowl several times.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and beat only till smooth (don't overbeat the batter once you've added the eggs or the cheesecake could crack).
- Quickly stir in the melted chocolate and Kahlua (can do this by hand).
- Pour the batter over the caramel layer.
- It should almost fill the pan.
- Place cookie sheet under the springform pan (this is in case of overflow--it shouldn't overflow, but just be safe)!
- Bake the cheesecake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 50-55 minutes.
- It will be set around the edges, but the center will wobble when you gently shake the pan.
- Turn the oven off and leave the cake in the oven for 1 hour, then completely cool at room temperature before putting it in the fridge.
- Run a sharp knife around the edge of the cake when it first starts to cool so that it doesn't pull away from the sides of the pan and crack.
- Refrigerate overnight before removing the sides of the pan.
- To garnish, melt 2 squares of semi-sweet chocolate and drizzle over the top and down the sides of the chilled cake.
- Pile chocolate curls in the center.
- Tip: Before preheating the oven set a large pan of water on the bottom rack.
- This adds moisture while the cheesecake is baking and will help to prevent cracks.
- **Cook time does not include cooling cheesecake or overnight refrigeration.