Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
These freeze REALLY well. I like to make them a month or so before Christmas so if an unexpected party comes up or I need a last minute gift, they are ready to go. They also ship really well.
- 1 (18 ounce) package Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Butter Recipe Fudge Cake Mix
- 1 cup pecans or 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon rum (or more!) or 1 tablespoon rum extract (or more!)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- pecans or walnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F Grease and flour 13x9x2 inch pan.
- Prepare, bake and cool cake following package directions.
- Crumble cake into large bowl. Stir with fork until crumbs are fine and uniform in size.
- Add 1 cup nuts, rum, confectioners sugar and cocoa. Stir until well blended.
- Shape heaping tablespoonfuls mixture into balls. Garnish by rolling balls in finely chopped nuts. Press firmly to adhere nuts to balls.
- Tip: you can also roll them in coconut.
This is a great way to use up left over cake. I used some cake I had already made and more rum. I forgot to add the cocoa, but the cake I used was very chocolaty so didn't notice. Thanks :)
Kids loved these, adults were a little iffy and most gave them a thumbs down. I did not go overboard on the rum, just 2 tablespoons of Bacardi since I knew Kids would be eating them. They popped them like Dunkin's doughnut holes.
These were so easy and great tasting! I crumbled the cake in the same pan it was baked in while it was still warm, and that cooled it faster. I tripled the rum, as I like a stronger flavor, and they taste great, and I know they'll be even better after sitting a couple days. A word of advice to anyone looking to make these: be sure to chop the nuts fine enough or they won't stay in the mixture, I made this mistake.