Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 3 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter (optional)
- Combine sugar and cocoa in saucepan.
- Add milk.
- Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved then bring to boil.
- Stir occasionally, cook to 236 degrees F.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter and vanilla, but do not stir.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes then beat until mixture thickens (but be careful not to get it too thick or you won't be able to pour it into a pan).
- Stir in nuts and quickly pour into a buttered 8" square pan.
- Variation- omit nuts.
- Stir in 1/2 cup peanut butter.
I have been looking for a fudge recipe without mini marshmallows, marshmallow cream, or sweet and condensed milk; you might say a recipe that my grandmother would have made. This is it, I felt like I was biting into the past. I followed the basic instructions except I added a pinch of salt and cinnamon. I didnâ€™t add nuts because my son doesnâ€™t like them. But the next batch gets them because I like them. When it came time to beat I only did so until it just started to lose its shine and stuck to the spatula. It came out perfect and is Really Yummy Good. Thank you for ending my search Donna for a perfect chocolate fudge recipe.