Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 mins
Here is a nice minty dessert for the holidays.
- 1 baked 9 inch pie shell
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, cut up
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 pints peppermint ice cream
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup meringue powder
- 1⁄4 cup crushed peppermint stick candy
- Prepare baked 9-inch pastry shell; set aside.
- For fudge sauce, in a small saucepan combine the 1 cup sugar, the evaporated milk, butter and chocolate.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly.
- Reduce heat and boil gently for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened and reduced to 1 1/2 cups.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Beat until smooth with wire whisk or rotary beater.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- In a chilled bowl, stir 1 pint of the ice cream until softened.
- Spread into cooled baked pastry shell.
- Cover with half of the cooled fudge sauce.
- Freeze until nearly firm.
- Repeat with remaining ice cream and fudge sauce.
- Return to freezer while preparing meringue.
- In a medium mixing bowl dissolve the 3/4 cup sugar in the boiling water.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Add the meringue powder.
- Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- By hand, fold 3 tablespoons of the crushed candy into the meringue.
- Spread meringue over chocolate sauce layer, sealing to edge.
- Sprinkle top with remaining crushed candy.
- Freeze until firm (several hours).
- Bake in a 475° oven for 3 to 4 minutes or just until meringue is lightly browned.
- Cover loosely and return to freezer for a few hours or overnight before serving.