Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Stir together oatmeal and water; set aside.
- In large mixer bowl stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, soda, and salt.
- Add shortening, oatmeal mixture (that you set aside) and vanilla.
- Beat on low speed just until mixed.
- Then beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl frequently.
- Add eggs; mix well.
- Pour into greased 9x13x2 inch pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until done.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes then turn out on rack and cool completely.
- If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Cut into squares and serve.