1/1 Photo of Fudge Frosting
This is my favorite frosting because: 1) you don't have to mess around with powdered sugar or electric beaters, 2) the fat content is relatively low, 3) it is fast and virtually foolproof, thanks to the cornstarch, 4) it has a beautiful satiny texture and rich dark color, 5) it tastes great. I found it in a charming cookbook entitled "British Columbia Heritage Cookbook" by Mary Evans-Atkinson (Whitecap Books, Vancouver, 1984).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix cocoa, cornstarch, sugar and salt together in a bowl.
- 2Heat coffee in a medium saucepan.
- 3Add butter to the coffee to melt. Stir until well blended.
- 4Add cocoa mixture and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk, until mixture has the consistency of pudding (about 7 minutes).
- 5Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- 6Allow frosting to cool for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Use the frosting when it is still tepid; do not allow it to become too stiff.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fudge Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (500 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1038.9
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 269.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 236.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 200.4 g
- Protein 3.6 g