Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
There are a zillion brownie recipes out there. This one remains my favorite after nearly 40 years. Some of us have unsweetened cocoa powder and powdered sugar that have been sitting in the cupboard for a year or more, and with their age, can give baked goods and frosting a flat, cardboard taste. As with all recipes, the quality of ingredients determines the quality of the finished product. *Make sure to use cocoa powder, NOT hot cocoa mix in this recipe.*
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I like Hershey's)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Grease a 9x9 inch pan and preheat the oven to 350*.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Beat in the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt, and blend into butter mixture.
- Pour into greased pan and bake ABOUT 30 mins., depending on your oven. *BAKE LESS TIME IF YOU LIKE YOUR BROWNIES FUDGEY AND MORE TIME IF YOU LIKE THEM CAKEY*.
- While brownies are baking, make the frosting: In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter and stir in cocoa powder and milk.
- Off heat, beat in the sugar.
- Spread evenly over brownies while they are still warm (not immediately out of the oven).
- When cool, cut into small squares.
- The yield depends on how large you cut them.
- This recipe is easily doubled (bake in a 9x13 pan) and nuts may be added to both the brownies and the frosting.
Good, fudgey, rich, and oh-so-satisfying! I put nuts on half (dh is sensitive to pecans) and scooped out a bit while it was still warm. I did take it out about 6 mins early as I like a fudgey texture. Great taste and texture. I will make this again.
Not enough flavor. The texture was great, kind of fudgy in the middle and chewy edges. Fought over the corners with my son. But, the flavor was seriously lacking.. :(
Not my kind of brownie. Too cakelike and not much chocolate flavor. Tasted more like a thick Texas sheetcake.