Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This cake tastes like real fudge!
- 2⁄3 cup soft shortening
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour two 9" round layer cake pans or one 13"x9" pan.
- Cream shortening, sugar and eggs until fluffy.
- Beat 5 minutes at high speed.
- Sift the flour well.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add alternately with water and vanilla, using low speed on mixer.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake layers about 35 minutes; oblong 40-45 minutes.
- Frost with my Fudge Frosting.
I made this for my son's birthday, and it was a big hit! It's definitely "chocolatey" and moist! I will make it again when I need a nice chocolate cake.
Nice texture....frosting is delicious as well!