Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Very moist and has dates in too,which I love. Just a very good fudge cake.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled completely
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cold water
date cream filling
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecans
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Let butter and eggs stand at room temp.30 minutes.Grease and lightly flour a 13x9 baking pan.In a medium owl,mix flour,soda,and salt;set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl,beat butter with electric mixer 30 seconds.Beat in sugar until light and fluffy,add eggs,1 at a time,beating well after each addition.Beat in the melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and water to butter mixture,beating on low speed,until just combined.
- Spread into the pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on a wire rack.
- Prepare date filling;spread warm on top of cake.Cool completely.
- Date cream filling:.
- In a small saucepan,whisk together 1 cup milk,1/4 cup granulated sugar,2 egg yolks,and 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour.Stir.
- in 1/2 cup dates.Cook and stir milk mixture over med.low heat until bubbly.Cook and stir 1 minute.Transfer filling mixture to a small bowl.Stir in 1/2 cup pecans,1 teaspoons vanilla.Cool slightly.
- Chocolate frosting:.
- In a saucepan,combine 1/4 cup butter,3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and 3 tablespoons milk.Bring to a boil,remove from heat.Add the 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Immediately pour over the cake;spreading evenly to cover filling.
- Let stand 30 minutes or until frosting is set.Makes 15 servings.