Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A slightly healthier (and slightly tweaked) version of my mom's brownies (Fudge Brownies). I think I actually used less granulated sugar when I made these. The applesauce adds sweetness, so 3/4 C sugar makes them verrry sweet. I also don't measure my chocolate chips in virtually any recipe calling for them; I just dump them in until it looks good, so this is an approximate amount.
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄8 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 1/4 package)
- Cream butter, applesauce, sugars, and vanilla.
- Add eggs.
- Carefully stir in flours, cocoa, and cinnamon, mixing well.
- Stir in chocolate chips just until incorporated.
- Bake in 8x8 glass pan for 25 minutes at 350*.