Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These brownies are simple to make and very dense and chocolately... Definitely not your cake type brownie. No baking powder or baking soda is required by this recipe (ie their absense isn't a type-o). If desired, you can also frost these with chocolate icing.
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided (real chocolate please)
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Thoroughly grease a 9" x 9" x 2" pan.
- Reserve 2/3 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Mix all the ingredients except the reserved chips until well blended.
- Press the mixture into the greased pan (I usually use my fingers to do this).
- Bake for about 20 minutes, turn off oven and remove brownies.
- Sprinkle the reserved chips evenly over the top of the brownies and return to the turned off oven for several minutes to melt the chocolate chips.
- Using a knife spread the melted chocolate chips evenly over the top of the brownies.
- Cut into 25 pieces.
These were simple, dense fudge brownies with everyday ingredients, just what I was looking for! The taste and texture were fantastic. The reason for 4 instead of 5 stars is the recipe as written makes a super thin brownie, even in my 8x8 pan, and the chips on top never really melted enough to spread. Also, to get 25 pieces out of this seemed unrealistic. In the future I will try doubling the recipe and baking longer as well as just stiffing in the chips as someone else suggested. Thanks though, this is a keeper!
I've made these brownies for a few months am finally getting around to writing my review. These are a huge hit with my father and that says a lot. He is very picky with food and he asks for these all of the time. Thanks for the recipe!
Perfect brownie *Pixie*! Loved that it was a fudgy chocolatey brownie! I just mixed the chips into the batter - to make it come together even quicker. Yummy! Thanks for sharing. I'm glad I tagged this recipe in the Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup game.