Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe gives you your chocolate fix and is lower in fat and calories. Recipe is from Woman's Day.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons coffee-flavored liqueur or 2 tablespoons black coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups boiling water
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- light whipped topping (optional)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees; you'll need an 8-inch square or other 2-quart, 2-inch deep baking dish.
- Put flour, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl, and whisk to mix well.
- Mix milk, oil, liqueur and vanilla; stir into flour mixture until blended.
- Spread in ungreased baking dish.
- Mix brown sugar and the 3 T cocoa; sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Slowly pour boiling water evenly over surface of batter (resist the temptation to stir).
- Carefully place dish in oven.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until top is just set and a wooden pick inserted halfway into center comes out with moist crumbs.
- Cool in dish on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar.
- Fore a decorative design, place a paper doily on cake before dusting with sugar.
- Carefully lift doily straight up.
- Serve pudding cake warm with whipped topping.