Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
I think this is one of the first things I ever cooked! I make this in my electric frying pan, but you can do it stovetop if you have a big enough covered frying pan. Since it's made with egg noodles, it's not a traditional style lasagna, but it is much easier to throw together. Just brown the beef and layer. Don't mind all the steps - you are just layering.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ounce spaghetti sauce mix (whatever size they come in)
- 1 lb cream-style cottage cheese (full-fat is best)
- 3 cups broad egg noodles, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 small bay leaf, crushed
- 28 ounces tomatoes
- 5 1⁄2 ounces tomato paste (small can)
- 1 cup water
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut in slices (I use a mozarella ball)
- Melt butter in a heavy frying pan (or electric skillet). Brown the ground beef, breaking it up with a fork and spreading over the pan.
- Sprinkle with half the dry spaghetti sauce mix.
- Spoon on the cottage cheese.
- Top with the noodles.
- Sprinkle with remaining sauce mix, salt, oregano, basil & bay leaf.
- Combine the tomatoes, paste and water & pour over.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer until noodles are tender - about 40 minutes. You may need to add a bit more water as needed during cooking (this seems to happen more when you make it stovetop).
- Top with strips of mozarella cheese, let soften & serve.
Made this tonight and it was very yummy. I really enjoyed the flavors of it. Really great that it is all in one skillet and quick to layer in skillet. I too added some onions when browning the beef. I was probably shy of 1/4 cup cottage cheese in my container, but it turned out to be enough anyways. I didnt have the need to add extra water while it was cooking, recipe had enough. Maybe cause I cooked it in my Le Crueset skillet and lid and it retained the heat and steam. I used shredded mozzarella because that is what I had on hand and it worked really well. This was a delicious recipe and thanks for sharing, I will be keeping this to make again. Made for the Holiday Tag '09
This was very tasty and easy, not very pretty but that's just fine for a weeknight meal. I added just a little onion to the burger as I browned it and omitted the butter. I used fat-free cottage cheese cause that is what I had and added 1 t cornstarch. I used whole wheat egg noodles and the rest was as stated. Very simple comfort food. Thanks for posting. Reviewed for PAC Spring 2009.