Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great summer meal that I found on the internet.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 0.5 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 0.5 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans, with liquid (I used refried beans)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup picante sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- oil (for frying)
- Combine beans and 2 tablespoons of picante sauce in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook until heated through.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef with taco seasoning mix according to seasoning mix package directions. Cover, and keep warm while you prepare the fry bread.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in milk, and mix until the dough comes together. Add more flour if necessary to be able to handle the dough.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough until smooth, at least 2 minutes. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large, deep heavy skillet to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C). Oil should be about 1 1/2 inches deep. Break dough in half and shape into round discs 1/4 inch in thickness, making a thinner depressed area in the center. Fry breads in the hot oil until golden on both sides, turning only once, about 3 minute per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Top fry bread with beans, ground beef, lettuce and cheese. Spoon picante sauce over. You can also top with other of your favorite taco toppings, such as onion, sour cream or guacamole.