Recipe by Skeeter
I got this recipe 30 years ago. Its one of my favorites because I love Navajo Tacos.
Top Review by Treenickel
I really wanted to like these but they just weren't very good fry bread. They were rather tasteless like soda crackers and they were rather tough and chewy. Another reviewer mantioned that they made good pizza dough, I think they might be good with pizza toppings, but not as a Navajo Taco
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water or 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 1⁄2-1 cup oil or 1⁄2-1 cup shortening, for frying pan
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix dry ingredient together.
- Add water and knead until soft.
- Take a ball of soft dough, pat back and forth, pulling, until flat and round.
- Heat oil in skillet (Medium-High).
- Cook dough rounds until brown, turn to brown on other side.
- NAVAJO TACOS: Top fry bread with chili, grated cheese, shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes.
- Other garnishes could include: sour cream, sliced olives, chopped green onion or chives, favorite taco sauce.
- Fry Bread is also good served in much the same way as you would scones.
- Top the hot bread with butter and honey or your favorite jam.
- It's also marvelous for peanut butter lovers.