4 hrs 45 mins
4 hrs 15 mins
Baby Kato's Note:
This wonderful recipe is by Umberto Menghi, from his great Seafood Cookbook. We love seafood and this is one of our favorites. This dish is to die for, its sooo good. I must admit that I leave out the squid, it's a personal preference only. If you don't like heat much, just add 1/2 tsp of the red hot chili. This is a beautiful light meal, served with a simple green salad, your favorite organic bread and fruit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 squid, fresh (optional)
- 1/2 onion, peeled, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 mussels, fresh, washed and cleaned
- 16 shrimp, fresh, jumbo, shell left on
- 16 scallops, fresh, large
- 1 cup wine, dry, white
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, fine, sea
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, black
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper, red, hot, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon scallion, washed, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dill, fresh, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, large, eye removed and scored with an X on top
- 1If using the squid, clean the squid by pulling off the head and pulling out the entrails. Remove the guill from the squid and discard. Lay the squid on a cutting board and with a sharp knife, scape off the membrane.
- 2Rinse under cold running water, cut off the tentacles and reserve. Make sure to cut off the beak-like mouth. Chop the tentacles and body into 1/2 inch rounds, pat dry and set aside until needed.
- 3In a pot saute the onion in oil until soft and transparent.
- 4Add the squid to the pot and saute for 3 - 4 minutes, then add the mussels, shrimps and scallops, cover and steam for 5 - 6 minutes, until the mussels open.
- 5Please, discard any mussels that do not open -- they are bad.
- 6Next, add the white wine, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper to the pot and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes, then transfer to a bowl.
- 7Add the red hot chili pepper, scallions and dill to a small bowl and gently mix together.
- 8Put your large bowl of seafood in the fride to marinate for 4 hours.
- 9When ready remove bowl from fridge, using a slotted spoon, transfer the seafood onto a plate or platter.
- 10Blanch the tomato for 20 seconds, in rapidly boiling water, then plunge into ice cold water. Peel, seed and julienne the tomato.
- 11Garnish the seafood platter with tomato and serve immediately.
- 12Bon Appetite.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Frutti Di Mare (Marinated Seafood & Hot Red Chili Peppers)
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 107.4
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 31.2 mg
- Sodium 571.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 9.5 g