Recipe by English_Rose
This dish bursts with flavour as it simmers in cinnamon, cumin, dried fruits and herbs.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs leg of lamb, cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 ounces dried apricots, chopped
- 2 ounces dried mango
- 7 ounces puy lentils
- 1 2⁄3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- fresh thyme leave
Directions See How It's Made
- In a non-stick frying pan, brown the lamb in two batches in a little olive oil. At the end of the second batch, add the ground spices and toss well. Transfer to a lidded casserole dish and add a little cold water to the frying pan to deglaze i.e. remove any residue and spices to add to the casserole.
- Add a touch more olive oil and cook the onions until tender before adding the garlic. Fry for a minute, then add to the meat.
- Add the fruit and 2 1/2 cups water to the meat. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently, covered, until tender for around 1 hr 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, cook the lentils in the stock. Once tender, stir through the balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil. Just before serving, stir some fresh thyme through the casserole and serve with the lentils.