Recipe by Ppaperdoll
A yummy, healthy tuna salad sandwich from Cooking Light. You can substitute solid white tuna canned in water if you don't have any fresh.
Top Review by JudithIrene
An absolutely delicious tuna sandwich filling! I used 2 cans of chunk light tuna in replace of the tuna steaks. Looking forward to making this again. Thank you for posting this, Ppaperdoll!!! :)
- 1 hard-boiled egg, peeled
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 8 ounces tuna steaks
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 (8 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 10 inches whole wheat pita bread, halved
- 1 2⁄3 cups torn lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, thickly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice egg in half lengthwise and remove yolk. Dice egg white halves and set aside.
- Heat broiler to high heat.
- Sprinkle lemon juice and pepper over tuna. Place tunal on broiler rack coated with cooking spray and cook 4 minutes on each side until tuna is medium rare (or to your desired doneness). Remove tuna from rack and coarsely chop.
- Combine tuna, diced egg white, celery, raisins, green onions, mayonnaise, mustard and pineapple tidbits in a bowl. Line each pita half with 1/3 cup lettuce and 2 tomato slices. Divide tuna mixture evenly among pita halves.