Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
A yummy, healthy tuna salad sandwich from Cooking Light. You can substitute solid white tuna canned in water if you don't have any fresh.
- 1 hard-boiled egg, peeled
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 8 ounces tuna steaks
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 (8 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 10 inches whole wheat pita bread, halved
- 1 2⁄3 cups torn lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, thickly sliced
- Slice egg in half lengthwise and remove yolk. Dice egg white halves and set aside.
- Heat broiler to high heat.
- Sprinkle lemon juice and pepper over tuna. Place tunal on broiler rack coated with cooking spray and cook 4 minutes on each side until tuna is medium rare (or to your desired doneness). Remove tuna from rack and coarsely chop.
- Combine tuna, diced egg white, celery, raisins, green onions, mayonnaise, mustard and pineapple tidbits in a bowl. Line each pita half with 1/3 cup lettuce and 2 tomato slices. Divide tuna mixture evenly among pita halves.
An absolutely delicious tuna sandwich filling! I used 2 cans of chunk light tuna in replace of the tuna steaks. Looking forward to making this again. Thank you for posting this, Ppaperdoll!!! :)