Recipe by Lennie
A different variation on plain ol' tapioca. Taken from "Rhubarb: more than just pies".
Top Review by Evie*
The only tapioca we can buy here is the big pearl size kind, After talking to Lennie I found out she meant the quick cooking kind. The rhubarb and pineapple however were delicious. One day when I can get back 'home' Im filling my case with the things we cant get here! and will make this again, I love tapioca.
- 1⁄4 cup minute tapioca
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar (if your rhubarb is on the sweet side, you can use less)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced rhubarb
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine tapioca, sugar, salt, rhubarb and water.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, stirring often; let bubble until the sauce thickens and the rhubarb becomes tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool (mixture thickens as it cools).
- Add pineapple with its juice, stir, then chill mixture.
- Traditionally served on its own with a whipped cream topping, but you can even serve it as a sauce over ice cream.