Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
It's fresh tasting and VERY healthy! You can substitute other fruit such as strawberries or blueberries for the grapes, or other types of melon.
- 1 cantaloupe, seeded and skin removed
- 7 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1⁄2 cup halved green grape
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Cut melon half in 1/2 inch rings, then into 1 inch pieces;place in a bowl.
- Add spinach, mushrooms, onion and grapes.
- Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Place sugar, orange juice, vinegar, onion, orange peel and pepper in a blender, cover and blend until smooth.
- With blender running, gradually add oil until slightly thickened.
- Stir in poppy seeds.
- Cover and chill.
- Just before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss.
- Top with pecans.
A fabulously, refreshingly delicious salad. :) The recipe sounded as if it would make a huge quantity - making it a great salad for serving to guests - so I halved it. I used baby spinach leaves (one of my staple foods!) and green seedless grapes. YUM! And the other options sound equally delicious. Heeding CaliforniaJan's warning about the onion, I used red onion in the dressing. A great blend of flavours made for a really delicious dressing for this very different salad which I enjoyed with today's take-to-work lunch and then again tonight with Recipe #354588. This salad would be great with any meat or pasta dish. I made this on a mild day but it's a recipe that would be fantastic on the hottest of days with BBQd meats. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, Lorrie. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.
This is as pretty to look at as it is delicious. I made it with red grapes and it was excellent. We also loved the dressing. My only caution is to check your onion, mine was too "hot" and we had to take some out. If you are able to get a sweet Vidalia-type, that would be amazing. Made for Photo Tag game.