Recipe by Sonya01
Apples, cherries, peaches, apricots or rhubarb all work will in this recipe.
Top Review by Lorrie in Montreal
We really enjoyed this rice pudding dessert.I used half evaporated milk and half 1% milk.It turned out really nice with the sauteed apples as the fruit. Made for Photo Tag Winter 07
- 1⁄4 cup rice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 600 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup drained canned fruit
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, extra
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine rice, sugar, milk in a saucepan; stir constantly over heat until mixture reaches boiling point.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting; cover and cook for about an hour, or until rice is tender and mixture is thick and creamy, stirring from time to time.
- Stir in vanilla essence.
- Spread rice mixture over base of an ovenproof dish (7-cup capacity)
- top evenly with fruit.
- Beat egg whites in bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add extra sugar; continue beating until mixture is thick, shiny and glossy.
- Spoon meringue mixture into dish to completely cover fruit.
- Bake at 180C for about 20-30 mins, or until meringue is evenly browned.
- Serve warm with thin cream, if desired.