Recipe by Mirj
One of the easiest and most delicious recipes I have ever found.
Top Review by Sallyanne
This was really good, different, but good. I liked it even better cold the next day. I decreased the water to 1 1/2 cups. I cooked it for 1 1/2 hours at 350, then 1/2 more at 400, and the rice was just about right.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice
- 8 ounces tofu, large dice (optional)
- 1 -2 yam, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 apple, diced
- pepper, for sprinkling (pumpkin pie spice is good too)
- 2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly oil a covered casserole (if you forget, you will hate this recipe).
- Put ingredients into dish in order listed.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours or longer.
- There are a lot of options to this dish: It can easily be doubled.
- Add a diced onion after the pineapple and change the seasoning to curry and garam masala, for Indian flavor.
- If you don't have pineapple, fruit cocktail will do, as will peaches, or any other canned fruit.
- Yams can easily become winter squash.
- Prunes work well, as do dried apricots.
- Feel free to experiment.
- This recipe is a starting point for your imagination.