Recipe by Lennie
This fruity cake is terrific at Christmas, but it goes well with a cup of tea any time of the year.
Top Review by pheasant farmer
This cake is wonderful - fruity and complex but not at all heavy. I made it exactly as written, and in my convection oven it was perfect at 90 minutes. I love nuts so might add some next time. Thank you for a really delicious recipe.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups currants
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed pineapple, with juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped maraschino cherry
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon mace (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300F; line an 8-inch square cake pan with foil and set aside.
- Put sugar, butter and fruits (with juice from tinned pineapple) in a saucepan over medium to medium-low heat; note that all currants or all raisins can be used instead of both; stir often until the butter melts, then remove from heat.
- Note that you could also do that in a microwave oven.
- Beat eggs with a whisk until frothy in a small bowl; slowly whisk eggs into fruit mixture.
- Combine all dry ingredients together then add all at once to wet mixture; stir well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1-1/2- 2 hours, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- When cool enough to handle, remove from pan and store in an airtight container.