Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A delightful snack or appetizer. Adapted from a Metropolitan Market handout. Note: You can adapt this recipe to make a Panzanella Salad by doubling the recipe, tearing the garlic bread into one-inch pieces and dicing the peaches and tomatoes into one-inch pieces.
- 2 large-dice ripe plum tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup large-dice ripe fresh peach
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced red onion
- 8 large fresh basil leaves, finely shredded
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 baguette
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a large bowl, gently toss together the tomatoes, peaches, red onion, basil and vinegar with 2 T olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Let sit at room temperature while you make the garlic toasts.
- Mix the remaining olive oil with garlic in a small bowl. Cut the bread into serving slices (about 1/2-inch thick) and brush with the garlic oil.
- Toast or grill the bread slices until golden brown on both sides. Top each peice with a generous spoonful of the peach mixture; sprinkle with a little sea salt and serve.
This is the epitomy of the sight, smell and crunchy taste of summer. We had these wonderful morsels for breakfast. That should be okay for we live in shadows of the "City that Care Forgot"! Made for PRMR.
I wasn't sure if I would like the combination of peaches and tomatoes, but I thought that they complimented each other quite well. My basil was pitiful, as it is hard to get good basil in MI in the winter, but otherwise it was great.
I enjoy the versitility of the topping on bruschetta (a dip, a spread or just to eat all on its own), & this one is especially satisfying, what with the combo of the peach & tomato! Another time I'd like to try this with a Vadalia onion! Thanks for a great keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed for a teammate in the Aus/NZ Special Recipe Swap #19]