Recipe by septembergirl
Fruity Mampostial is a delicious twist on a traditional Puerto Rican dessert,
Ingredients for Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups brown sugar or 4 cups date sugar
- 1 cup orange juice, from concentrate
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup coconut (grated or shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 pre-baked pie crust, of your choice (optional)
- plastic wrap (if you choose squares)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the water, brown or date sugar in a heavy pan.
- Simmer stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
- Add the pineapple juice and grated lemon peel and simmer till the syrup gets very thick.
- To make the mampostial, just add the coconut and the crushed pineapple to the thick syrup and cook it, stirring constantly until it gets very thick.
- You now have 2 options on how to use this thick candy mix.
- A. Pour it or dump it onto a non-stick cookie sheet and let it cool.
- After that you can cut it in squares and wrap them on plastic wrap and refrigerate them till you are ready to eat them.
- B. You can pour the thick candy mix from the pan into the prebaked pie crust and just chill in the refrigerator till you serve it.
- This will be further removed from the traditional mampostial but is simply yummy!
- These are two different variations of a delicious traditional dessert from Puerto Rico.
- You can find more tasty dishes with both a tropical and a Mediterranean flair completely free on my website: www.frontiernet.net/~rexfam.