Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
If you have a lot of leftover ham, this is an excellent thing to do with it. In fact, it's worth getting ham just to make it. Not your usual meatloaf.
- 2 teaspoons lard (fat from the ham)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 slices peeled cored pineapple
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 450 g cooked ham, finely chopped (equal to 3 cups)
- 300 g ground lean pork
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 eggs
- 2 large apples, grated
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt the fat in a 9"x5" loaf pan.
- Sprinkle the sugar evenly over the bottom, and lay the pineapple slices, cut in half or quarters if need be, in a nice pattern on the bottom.
- Fill holes with raisins.
- Mix the remaining ingredients, and press the mixture over the pineapple.
- Bake for 1 hour& 15 minutes.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven, and let it stand 5 minutes.
- Invert it onto serving platter, wait a few seconds, then remove the pan and serve.
Hello Jenny, Today I made your recipe and it turned out beautiful! I used leftover ham as you suggested and followed your recipe except I did add more bread since it seemed a bit loose and I was afraid it would fall apart. I also added one TBS of sweetened dried Cranberry's in with the raisins for color and additional fruit flavor. This meatloaf is execptional and a nice change from traditional meatloaf, It's a keeper for me!!