A Healthy snack to make, and enjoy. Haven't had a chance to make this yet myself. Use your favorite dried fruit, figs, dates dried cranberries, cherries or blueberries in place of the apricots and raisins. Enjoy.
- 2 cups rolled oats or 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup diced dried apricot
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or 1 tablespoon mild vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup liquid honey
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray or brush with oil.
- Combine oats,wheat germ, apricots, raisins, sunflower seeds, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine melted butter and brown sugar in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in honey, egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir liquid mixture into dry mixture until dry ingredients are evenly moistened.
- Press mixture firmly and evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden and firm.
- Cool on wire rack before cutting into squares or bars.
- Wrap individually for easy grab and go breakfasts and snacks.
This was really tasty and easy too. We decreased the oats to 1 1/2 cups and added in a 1/2 cup of protein powder.
These are REALLY tasty. I followed someone's suggestion and combined dry ingredients first and then microwaved the next ingredients (butter, br. sugar, and honey) then later added egg and vanilla. This worked very well. The bars still didn't stick together as well as I would have liked....with just a few crumbles so it's nothing I'd complain about but why I didn't give it 5 stars. But the boys LOVED them.
I used the suggestions given already and these bars turned out great! exactly what I was looking for as a quick breakfast, and sooo much better than store-brought... for fruits I used a mixture of raisins, apricots, pineapple and banana, and instead of sunflower seeds I used chopped walnuts, almonds and flax seeds. I didn't have wheat germ so I used flour instead. I overbaked it a bit so it came out more crunchy than chewy, but still very very tasty! For my taste, this is 12 servings and not 18, though. Thanks for a great recipe! Update: These also freeze very well. Also, I tried to add 3 tbsp peanutbutter instead of the oil, salt, cinnamon and vanilla (and if I'd do it again, instead of the honey as well). Heavenly!