Recipe by MsMcGivee
This is a pretty, fruity, healthy chicken salad. Guests love it, perfect for a luncheon, and is best when made the day before to allow flavors to meld. Serve on pitas, croissants, or on a lettuce leaf with crackers. It's forgiving for substitution as well. (Use leftover roast or grilled chicken, scallions instead of onion, raisins instead of cranberries, any kind of nuts you like!)
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked, cooled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄2-1 granny smith apple, peeled and diced
- 1⁄3 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 1⁄4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 3 -4 tablespoons craisins, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat mayonnaise, plus
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop chicken, vegetables and fruits. (Do the apple last so it doesn't brown!).
- Sprinkle with pepper and curry powder. (Use more if you like curry a lot!).
- Add 1/4 cup of mayonnaise. Combine gently, lifting with apoon from the bottom of the bowl. Adjust mayonnaise to reach desired creaminess.
- Refrigerate overnight. See description for serving suggestions. Makes about 4 one-cup servings.