Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
I love this mix of flavors and hope you do too! Easy to make and a great dessert or treat to snack on! Made for RSC contest Feb. 2010.
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips)
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped coarsely, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Place coarsely chopped walnuts on baking sheet and place in hot oven. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Melt both chocolate chips in a double boiler(over water-or microwave if you like but be careful not to burn). Stir frequently to melt and when smooth and velvety, add in apricot preserves. Mix thoroughly. Remove from heat.
- Quickly add in cinnamon, lemon and orange zest, stirring to mix.
- Spread out onto wax paper lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with toasted walnuts and chopped dried apricots. Press them down into the chocolate so they will stick.
- Chill 1 hour or until firm.
- Break into pieces. Store in covered container(or zip loc bag) in the fridge. Will keep at least one week. Enjoy!
This made for a great football snack. Made this as written with no changes. For the 4 of us, wish there could of been more. The flavors were great, loved the way the cinnamon stood out here. We enjoyed this, Made for Holiday Tag.
With 1 exception, I made this recipe as given ~ Instead of being coarsely chopped, toasting the walnuts first & then chopping them pretty fine! Loved the combo of apricot, chocolate & the zest! Definitely something I'll make again! [Made & reviewed in RSC #15 Contest]
I have never made a sweet like this before and I thought my DH would like this, I was right he loved the taste. The lemon and orange zest came through well, but it was the cinnamon that was the strongest and my DH loves cinnamon. I think mine was a bit thick I think it is meant to be a bit thinner but next time I will do better. Made for RSC#15