Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe can be made many ways, with fruit or vegetable changes, different nuts, and variations on the dressing. My husband likes the dressing without the vanilla yogurt, more vegetables, and pecans. (Less sweet) My daughter likes the dressing with the yogurt and mandarin orange juice, lots of fruit, and almonds. (She likes it more sweet!) My son likes it with the shredded swiss cheese and no nuts. When my mother in law comes over, we leave out the shredded coleslaw due to her allergies. So have fun with this recipe. I've never made it exactly the same way twice, and I think every variation has been delicious!
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 cup mandarin oranges in light syrup
Choose as many of the following as desired
- 2 cups cabbage coleslaw blend
- 1 -2 granny smith apple, chopped
- 1 cup pineapple chunk, drained
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds or 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free Miracle Whip or 1⁄2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup tmarzetti low-fat coleslaw dressing
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt (optional)
- Cube the chicken and place in bowl.
- Drain the mandarin oranges, reserving 1/4 to 1/8 cup of juice for dressing.
- Choose any or all fruits and place in bowl.
- Choose any or all nuts/dried cherries and place in bowl.
- Add shredded coleslaw if desired.
- Add swiss cheese if desired.
- Dressing: Mix Miracle Whip with coleslaw dressing. Add reserved syrup from mandarin oranges.
- Add yogurt if desired. Mix to taste. (If thicker dressing is preferred, put more Miracle Whip in; for a less sweet dressing, leave out mandarin orange juice, etc.).
- Pour dressing over salad. Mix with hands. Serve on bed of lettuce, or use in sandwiches.