Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Party food doesn't have to be unhealthy. These festive cupcakes are made without sugar and are decorated with fresh fruit. (Another great from The Organic Baby and Toddler Cookbook)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 2⁄3 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1 banana, sliced, for decorating
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cream together the butter and banana in a bowl. Gradually work the egg, milk, honey, flour and baking soda into the mixture. Stir in the golden raisins. Divide the mixture between small paper cake cups.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the middle of the oven until a skewer inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a cake rack. Decorate with banana slices and candles.
- FOR PEAR CUPCAKES, follow the recipe above but substitute a mashed pear for one of the bananas and decorate with sliced pear pieces.
- FOR STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES, follow the recipe above but substitute four mashed strawberries for one of the bananas and decorate with sliced strawberry or kiwi pieces.
We LOVED these! My niece and nephew gobbled them up after school, and took some home for their lunchboxes for tomorrow! I "frosted" them with strawberry yoghurt, and popped banana slices on top of that. Will be making them again! [Made for fall 08 PAC]
This is a great recipe for the health conscience! Instead of making cupcakes, I used the batter to bake an actual cake (we used it to celebrate our son's "potty party" - as you can see in the picture). I did have to tweak it a bit though. I added 2 extra bananas and doubled (but would even triple next time) the amount of honey to add more sweetness. For his cake, I also melted down some chocolate and added it in for a healthy chocolate version. This is a great recipe! Thanks for sharing!