Recipe by chia
This dish would be perfect with chicken or pork.
Top Review by Rita~
I enjoyed this fruity chewy side that can be made easily into a meal. Garlic was omitted in the directions But I figured it was to go with the onions. Didn`t need all the stock. 1/2 the stock and half pineapple or apple juice would have been great. I say pineapple because I had a main with this that included pineapples and it complemented it really yummy. I also cut the cooking time down to 30 minutes. I also place 1/2 the lemon, fruit mixture in to start which helped plump up the raisins. Didn`t peel the apples and found no reason to.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 cup barley
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan with lid heat 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Add onion, celery and jalapeño and cook until softened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add barley and stir to coat.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Lower to simmer, cover and cook 40-45 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, mix 1 tbsp oil, lemon zest and juice, apple, raisins, pecans together.
- Toss with cooked barley mixture, cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.