Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This comes from my favorite newspaper, the New York Daily News. The fact that you don't have to cook it makes a huge plus in my book. Great on chicken or fish.
- 3 scallions, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, washed,picked and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup yellow bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper (or combination)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 fresh mango, peeled and diced
- 1 fresh papaya, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
This wonderful "barbecue sauce" is actually a delightful "salsa", not the sweet red stuff you swab on your burgers and chicken that burn on the grill. It's easy, fresh and delicious. I followed Mirj's directions, ingredients and proportions exactly and got outstanding results. There was just enough tongue tingling from the ginger and jalapeno to make this "salsa" a perfect topping for some simple, grilled, sauteed or baked chicken/fish/pork. Mirj, you are great!