Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Sarah Ainley’s book, The World’s Best Recipes, Caribbean section.
Make and share this Fruits of the Tropics Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium pineapple
- 1 (14 ounce) can guava shells in syrup (i.e., guava halves)
- 2 medium bananas, sliced and divided
- 1 large mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 4 ounces ginger, preserved
- 2 tablespoons ginger syrup (from the preserved ginger)
- 4 tablespoons thick coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 coconut, cut in strips, to decorate
- Peel, core and cube the pineapple, and place in a serving bowl. Reserving the liquid, drain and chop the guavas. Toss the guavas into the serving bowl with one of the bananas and the mango.
- Chop the preserved ginger and add to the pineapple mixture.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the ginger syrup, and the reserved guava syrup into a blender or food processor and add the other banana, the coconut milk and the sugar. Blend to form a smooth creamy puree.
- Pour the banana and coconut mixture over the fruit, add a little grated nutmeg and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Serve chilled, decorated with strips of coconut.
This is a delicious salad. DH absolutely loved it and asked me to make it again soon. I served it for dessert.
A delightful salad! Scrumtious flavors and loved the coconut milk with nutmeg and cinnamon. Made for the Caribbean dessert challenge for ZWT 2013.