Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This colorful, flavorful rice is an excellent addition to a family get together.
- 2 (6 1/4 ounce) boxes quick-cooking long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 tablespoons walnuts or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) bag walnuts, pieces
- 2⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) bag pecan pieces
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 12 dried apricots, sliced (makes about 1/2 c)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries or 1⁄2 cup cranberries
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- Cook rice as box directs.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a large non-stick skillet or wok over med-high heat for 1 minute. Add nuts. Cook stirring frequently about 8 minutes or until pecans are browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of oil and the onions into the skillet. Cook about 10 minutes or until onions begin to brown. Add apricots, cherries, ginger, red pepper, and reserved nuts; cook another 5 minutes.
- Whisk together honey soy sauce and orange peel in a small bowl; add onion mixture and then toss with rice.
- (Note) This dish can be served as a cold rice salad: Spoon the hot rice on to a large baking dish and chill in the refrigerator about 15 to 25 minutes then toss with cooled nuts, onion mixture and honey sauce.