Recipe by katie in the UP
This recipe is supposed to be for a side dish, but instead of the recommended tennis ball size I made golf ball size and used it for one of our appetizers. Wonderful!! **UPDATE** we really like the flavors of the fruit and nuts....it is a perfect stuffing for a turkey as well!! I doubled the recipe and used 1/2 apple juice and half chicken broth!!
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 4 cups season stuffing cubes (I used cornbread)
- 1 cup dried apricot, finely chopped
- 3⁄4-1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Shape into balls (12 tennis ball or 24 golf ball sized).
- Place in a greased 13x9 inch baking dish (it also worked well for me on a cookie sheet with parchment paper).
- Bake, uncovered for 18-20 minutes for smaller balls and 20 -25 minutes for larger, until golden brown.