Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This sounds delicious! From a church cookbook called Heavenly Hash.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef rump roast
- 2 tablespoons cooking fat
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 24 pitted prunes
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 (16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- Lightly brown pot roast in cooking fat.
- Pour off drippings.
- Season meat with 1 salt and 1/8 t pepper.
- Place on rack in Dutch oven or roasting pan.
- Add water.
- Cover tightly and cook in slow oven (325) for 3 to 3 and 1/2 hours our until meat is tender.
- The last 15 minutes of cooking time, add prunes and onion rings.
- Cover again and continue cooking.
- Remove meat, prunes and onions from pan.
- Pour off all but 1/4 c drippings.
- Mash cranberry sauce into drippings and stir to blend.
- Add onions, lemon juice, allspice and 1 t salt.
- Bring to a boil and cook over low heat until the cranberry sauce is dissolved.
- Add prunes to sauce and cook 5 minutes.
- Serve carved roast garnished with prunes on hot platter.
- Accompany with cranberry gravy.
Not a neat as you thought it would be...back away from the prunes...not a good gravy either.