Recipe by Charlotte J
From Cooking Light
Top Review by I'mPat
A wonderful flavoursome low GI recipe I did use sultanas instead of currents and when I went to make I found I had no cinnamon sticks so used ground cinnamon which still worked out well and I reduced to 3 serves but still had a small amount left over until the DM realized and she devoured and the only other sub I did was we are not keen on coriander/cilantro so used fresh parsley from the herb garden, made for Healthy Choices tag game, thank you Charlotte J for a very delightful side for our meal tonight.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried currant
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 (14 ounce) cans reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 3 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 2 1⁄2 cups uncooked israeli couscous
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes.
- Stir in currants, apricots, salt, broth, and cinnamon sticks; bring to a boil.
- Add couscous, and return to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Let couscous mixture stand 5 minutes.
- Discard cinnamon sticks.
- Stir in cilantro.