Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
My dad and husband love oatmeal. This is one of their favorites and it is so easy. I put it together at night and we wake up to a hot, steaming bowl of hearty, delicious oatmeal.
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup snipped dried apricot
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- brown sugar or maple syrup
- chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- Add the water, oats, apple juice, cranberries, raisins, apricots, 1/4 cup maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt to a 4-quart slow-cooker; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours.
- Serve with brown sugar or additional maple syrup, chopped nuts and milk.
I soaked the oats in 3cups water and 1cup apple juice on the stovetop overnight and then finished it in 5 minutes the next morning, adding the remaining ingredients. I like chewey fruit.
I really enjoyed this. I followed the recipe exactly, and it turned out perfectly after 6 hours in my crock pot. I did use my very old one, so a newer one would probably be done in less time. Hubby wasn't terribly impressed, but then he didn't put full fat 1/2 & 1/2 on it, like I did. Yummy, warming, and filling.
This oatmeal is awesome! We had expected bad weather, and i decided I'd make this for the kids to have something hot and filling before trudging out into the snow. They LOVED it! I couldn't find steel cut oats in my grocery store, so I used regular old fashioned oats. I put everything except the oatmeal into the pot the night before, to let that all simmer together and added the oats in the morning about an hour before waking everyone. it was perfect! I topped each bowl with toasted walnuts, and brown sugar, and to be extra decadent, I poured on just a splash of cream..The only sound I heard as they ate, was "mmmmmmmm"..Thank you for sharing this recipe!