Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This recipe is for a crowd. I haven't made it yet - so I am saving it here so I can find it when I need it! If you try this recipe before I do - please let me know if there should be any changes! Times are approximate.
- 2 (1133.98 g) can pineapple chunks
- 4731.8 ml cubed cooked chicken
- 2839.08 ml cooked rice
- 1892.72 ml green seedless grapes, halves
- 946.36 ml sliced celery
- 4 (1700.97 g) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 4 (907.18 g) can sliced water chestnuts, drained and halved
- 946.36 ml mayonnaise or 946.36 ml salad dressing
- 103.53 ml frozen orange juice concentrate
- 14.79-29.58 ml salt
- 946.36 ml slivered almonds, toasted
- Drain the pineapple, reserving 2 TBSP of juice.
- Combine pineapple and the next 6 ingredients.
- Combine mayonnaise, concentrate, salt, pepper and reserved pineapple juice until smooth; toss with chicken mixture.
- Chill several hours or overnight.
- Add almonds just before serving.
I made this for the Feb 2009 Aus/Kiwi Swap. The fruit, rice and chicken is a wonderful combination. Adding the orange juice really punched up the flavor. This is really refreshing, I will continue to make this for friends and family. Great taste!
Don't think I've ever made a recipe for the dinner table that ended up being split among 4 other households, but this was one! Several of us in our mobile home park organized a Backasswards Here & There Dinner in which each couple made an entree to serve 10 & with each person also taking home an additional serving! We started out having dessert at the 1st couple's home, then went to another home for a couple of side dishes, & so on! Great fun, & all within walking distance! Anyway, this 'salad' was actually one of two main dishes, & it was a big hit! I did use a mix of breasts & thighs for the chicken! This recipe is a definite keeper, although I will be cutting it down to much smaller size! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]