Recipe by evelyn/athens
I know I got this recipe from either Gourmet or Bon Appetit maybe 15-20 years or so ago. It has become a summer fixture in my home. Always impressive and delicious. The fruit in the ingredients list is what the recipe listed, but I have happily subbed all kinds of fresh (and tinned) fruit over the years.
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1⁄4 cup warm milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- 1 pinch ground mace
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- strawberry, halves
- red grapes or green grape, halved and pitted
- banana, peeled and sliced
- papayas, kiwis,peaches,plums,nectarines or apricot
- 1 (8 ounce) jar apricot jam, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- For crust: Sprinkle yeast and pinch of sugar into milk in small bowl; stir to dissolve.
- Let stand until foamy and proofed, about 10 minutes.
- Butter large bowl.
- Combine 2 ½ cups flour, ¼ cup sugar and salt in another large bowl.
- Make well in center.
- Add yeast mixture, butter and eggs to well and blend until smooth.
- Gradually draw flour from inner edge of well into center until all flour is incorporated.
- Turn out onto work surface, which you have floured with some of the remaining ½ cup flour.
- Knead in whatever flour is left, then continue kneading until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Add dough to prepared bowl, turning to coat surface of dough with butter.
- Let rise in warm, draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 ¾ hours.
- Butter a 16 inch pizza pan.
- Punch dough down.
- Roll out to circle ¼ to 1/8 inch thick.
- Fit into pan, pressing onto sides.
- Let dough rise in warm area until puffy, about 20 minutes.
- Position rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 350F.
- For topping: Beat cheese, ½ cup sugar, yolks, flour, sour cream, peel, vanilla, salt and spices until smooth.
- Spoon into unbaked shell, spreading evenly.
- Sprinkle with 2 tblsps of sugar.
- Bake until crust is browned and filling is set, about 35 minutes.
- Cool completely in pan.
- Decorate with fruit.
- Use your imagination to make an attractive pattern of contrasting colours.
- Brush generously with melted jam (you may not need whole amount not to worry, jam will rethicken as it cools and is great on buttered toast!).
- Serve within 5 hours.