Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is from a lowfat, high fiber cooking class I attended.
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the dry milk, sugar and salt.
- Add the milk, eggs, and vanilla, mixing the ingredients well with a fork.
- Stir in rice, raisins, apricots, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Pour mixture into a greased 6-cup casserole dish.
- Bake the pudding in a preheated 325 degree oven for 15 minutes. Stir the pudding, and then bake the pudding for another 35 minutes or longer until the milk is absorbed. Serve the pudding warm or chilled.
A great winter desert that is as tasty as it looks. I was worried that there was too much cinnamon, but it was perfect with a full tsp. I cooked it slowly and wasn't taking very much notice of the time after the 35 minutes was up, but estimate that it took over an hour before I took it out of the oven and the milk was fully absorbed. Luckily it makes enough for desert the next night.
For being this healthy of a rice pudding it is delicious. I was a bit scared of the outcome and was pleasantly surprised. Will make repeatedly. Thanks:)
LOVE BROWN RICE, & it can't get much better when paired with these dried fruits, & I was was generous when measuring out the raisins & apricots! Will certainly make this recipe again ~ Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for my chosen partner in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 20]