Recipe by justcallmetoni
I have recently made a concerted effort to introduce more grains into my diet. Both healthful and delicious, this makes a lovely side dish for pork or chicken.
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds or 3 tablespoons cashews
- 3 tablespoons chopped spring onions
- 24 fluid ounces water
- 3 ounces wild rice, rinsed and drained (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 ounces pearl barley (about 1/4 cup plus 1-2 teaspoons)
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 ounces chopped dried fruit (one "or" a combination dates, apricots, apples, pears, cranberries "or" prunes)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2 qt saucepan heat oil; add almonds and spring onion. Cook and stir over medium heat till nuts are golden brown. Remove from pan; set aside.
- Carefully add the water to pan; bring to boiling. Stir in uncooked rice, barley, raisins, and fresh ginger.
- Return to boiling then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, or till grains are tender.
- Stir in nut mixture, fruit, honey, salt, and nutmeg. Cook for 5 minutes more.
- Fluff rice and grains with a fork and serve.