I have recently made a concerted effort to introduce more grains into my diet. Both healthful and delicious, this makes a lovely side dish for pork or chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds or 3 tablespoons cashews
- 3 tablespoons chopped spring onions
- 24 fluid ounces water
- 3 ounces wild rice, rinsed and drained (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 ounces pearl barley (about 1/4 cup plus 1-2 teaspoons)
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 ounces chopped dried fruit (one "or" a combination dates, apricots, apples, pears, cranberries "or" prunes)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1In a 2 qt saucepan heat oil; add almonds and spring onion. Cook and stir over medium heat till nuts are golden brown. Remove from pan; set aside.
- 2Carefully add the water to pan; bring to boiling. Stir in uncooked rice, barley, raisins, and fresh ginger.
- 3Return to boiling then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, or till grains are tender.
- 4Stir in nut mixture, fruit, honey, salt, and nutmeg. Cook for 5 minutes more.
- 5Fluff rice and grains with a fork and serve.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fruited Barley and Wild Rice Pilaf Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 236.8
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 157.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 6.4 g