Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are really easy -- they're made with a boxed spice cake mix! My mom gave me this recipe.
- 1 (10 1/4 ounce) box spice cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 3 tablespoons water, if needed for easier mixing
- 1 cup mixed candied fruit, chopped
- 1 cup pecans or 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Mix well the cake mix, eggs, and oil. Stir in chopped candied fruit and the chopped nuts. Drop with 1" cookie scoop (making walnut-sized balls) onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Makes about 40 cookies (or more).
I didn't have a spice cake mix so I substituted a white cake mix and added cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. I added a ½ cup of chopped dates and ½ cup of chopped candied ginger. I held all the nuts because of allergies. The ginger really takes these up a notch. This recipe is a keeper!
we loved these easy and delicious cookies. i toasted the pecans and they were a great addition. next time i will try using Sunkist Fruit Bits instead of the candied fruit.
I did make one substitution when preparing these cookies ~ a generous cup of diced, mixed dried fruits rather than the candied kind, & we were very pleased with the cookies! Took half the batch over to a neighbor couple, but the rest were just for the 2 of us to enjoy devouring! Just know I'll be making these again & again throughout the year! You have a winning recipe here! Thanks for posting it! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]