Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Like mini-fruitcakes. Prep time includes cooling and frosting.
Make and share this Fruitcake Bar Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon rum extract or 1 teaspoon brandy extract
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 8 ounces pitted dates, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup candied fruit, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup candied red cherries, quartered
- 3⁄4 cup pecans or 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- candied cherry, for garnish (red and green)
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk (more if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease and flour a 13x9x2-inch pan. (Or spray with nonfat cooking spray).
- In a small bowl, blend flour, salt, soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and eggs at medium speed until light and fluffy. Mix in rum or brandy extract.
- Stir in flour, dates, candied fruits, 1/2 cup cherries and nuts. Spread in prepared pan and bake 30 minutes until golden. Cool on wire rack, in pan.
- In the meantime, prepare the frosting by mixing together sugar and milk. Stir until smooth; then cover with a damp cloth until ready to use.
- When cake has cooled, frost, suing a spatula.
- Cut into 2 x 1-inch bars and decorate with red and green candied cherries. Store in a covered container, with pieces of wax paper between layers.
Great switch from traditional fruitcake! I'm known for always making (and giving) fruitcakes to family and friends during the holidays, but due to recent health issues, I don't have the arm strength necessary to stir the heavy batter. Found this and tried it - my usual "customers" are thrilled! Just like Mikekey stated - like mini-fruitcakes. The only thing I did different was add rum soaked raisins, and added rum flavor to the frosting. Thanks for the recipe - it'll be a regular for me!!
My grandma's fruitcake recipe was never written down so no one really knows what all went into it. There was a Polish bakery that had a cookie very similar to a fruitcake and this recipe brought back wonderful memories. I used rum extract, raisins, and maraschino cherries for the dried fruit.and also the garnish. Very addictive and very delicious! Mikekey thank you so much for great memories during a difficult time. Food always brings a family closer together! Made and reviewed for the Please Review My Recipe Tag Game.
i liked the texture of the cake it reminded me of my fav,archway cookie this was an easy bar to make i added raisins also